Monday 9 July 2007

First trip out



Launch day. Went down to Cattawade on the Stour since I know that part of the river pretty well now. The river was higher than normal and there was a definite flow that I hadn't seen there before, not suprising really given the amount of rain we've had. Also the wind was gusting well.


I had my kids with me so decided I should test the canoe out on my own first and make sure everything was o.k. I seem to have got the thwart in the right position so the boat felt quite nicely balanced. It tracked well but turning on its axis isn't so great which must be due to the bilge runners.


Sea trials over, it was time to get the kids in. One at a time to start with then both in together, one in front and one behind. We did a couple of trips just to get them used to it and went up as far as the lock gates for those who are familiar with the river. Again the flow was strong here and the kids didn't want to go through so that was the limit of trip that day. with the flow the way it was I'd expect the current to be strong further up at Judas Gap weir.


The kids seemed to really enjoy it and somehow I managed to get permission from my canoe loathing wife to take the kids on an overnighter for the Sudbury to the Sea trip in September.

No comments: