Tuesday 17 July 2007

Monday night bonus paddle

Came home from work not feeling great and hadn't even considered paddling; that is until my better half said are you going out tonight? I thought about it and decided; yes, I would go. I wasn't sure if any of the other Monday regulars would be around and sure enough they weren't which meant unloading the boat on my own. I had the club boat as I'd put a new coat of varnish on the gunnels on mine and it hadn't fully dried yet.

I put in a Cattawade and decided that I'd paddle up to Flatford and back. I tend to paddle on the right side and am not that good on the left still. The BCU two star award requires that all strokes be performed on both sides so I decided that this would be a good time to practice. I got up to Flatford after a few stops on the way to watch a heron and then the barn owl that I've seen before and practiced some strokes in the mill pool.

I headed back still paddling on my left side, which, by now felt completely natural so it was worth the effort. Trip time was about 2 hrs, distance ~4.5 miles.

No comments: