Wednesday 29 August 2007

Poling at Dedham

Only a couple of days until my 2 star assessment so decided to get a bit more practice time on the water. Started out at Dedham and paddled down to Flatford. Followed a kingfisher for quite some distance but never did get close enough, even with silent paddling, to get a good view though. Practised stopping, turning, moving sideways, ruddering and paddling backwards in the area above the lock gates.

After a short while I headed back upstream paddling on my weaker left side for a bit of practice, the water was flat calm and mirror like only disturbed by my bow wave and the occasional jumping fish. Kept a look out for the kingfisher again but the light was dimming by this time and I didn't see it.

Got back to the mill pool at Dedham and practiced some poling where I felt like I'd improved upon previous attempts. Overconfidence got the better of me and whilst performing a sweep stroke and tipping the boat to aid the turn I lost my footing and landed on my arse in the back of the boat. I was quite pleased with myself though because, as I was falling, I was thinking about getting myself central in the boat and not splaying my arms out in case I injured myself on the gunnels. I found myself on my back with my feet and arms up in the air still hanging on to the pole and looking at the sky. After collecting myself for a few seconds and thinking that was lucky I got up and carried on with a bit more respect of the pole.

Time was getting on and it was starting to get a bit dark even though it was just after 8pm so I decided to call it a night and head off home.

No comments: