Friday 30 May 2008

Inwales fitted

Finished off fitting the inwales. The joints aren't really as good as I'd like them but one of them will be improved when I fit the grab handle as it will close the gap up, the other end will need to be filled with an epoxy mix.

Measured and cut the portage yoke then fitted it for size. Used a ratchet strap to pull the sides in so I could mark the centre and the drilling points for fitting.

Made a fixture that aligns the outwale with the inwale.


Need to get some more screws to fit the outwales on but want to find out about how to plug the holes first. What I did on my other canoe (which had much thicker gunnels) was to counterbore a 10mm hole then use a plug cutter and glue and hammer the plug in place. On this canoe the gunnels are only 20mm wide so the drilling needs to be accurate and I'm wondering if a M6 screw will be too big so the counterbore could break out??

No comments: