Monday 19 March 2007

Good progress made






Busy few days on the canoe front. Took Friday off work to work on the canoe. Original plan was to tape the butt joints but again the dreaded slowness of the epoxy setting put paid to that as it still hadn't cured sufficiently. I decided to call up the supplier who agreed to send me some fast setting hardener FOC if I paid the postage - obviously I was happy with this. The supplier called back to let me know he was in the area on Saturday and could drop by if I wanted. This he did and dropped of the hardener and also some more resin, manufactured by Flag this time which he recommended for gluing and fairing. Paid for the shipping - £10.

In the mean time I still had to fill my Friday so I got some more ply for the centre bulkhead support (that's only fixed in temporarily to keep the shape of the canoe) and the bow and stern bulkheads. I used 5mm WBP for this.

I also got a 1M plank of oak for my portage yoke, the plans of which I got from Jem Watercraft. I also made up a template of the yoke to use for routing the finished article. Oak is really hard and it took ages to cut.

On the Saturday and Sunday I used the fast cure hardener and taped all the joints up. Fast hardener really does work fast!

In the mean time a contact from SoTP forum dropped off the seats I bought from her - which are really nice.

Total spend to date £249.

No comments: